Trying to transfer a Domain.. advice please!

Discussion in 'Domain names/DNS' started by Rob den Boer, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Hi Guys

My Domain (formeware.com) is currently with another ISP in NZ.. I want to transfer it , but the ISP is being impossible to deal with. ( small 1 man band).

My domain actually expired yesterday and the ISP sent me an invoice for another year of hosting, even though I have already asked to transfer the domain and stop the hosting.

Since I am not going to be paying the invoice from the old ISP, I expect (hope!) the domain will not be renewed , so at what point can I register the domain via everleap?

Is there any way I can 'reserve' the domain until it becomes free.

Many thanks for your advice

Rob

2. Frankc

Frankc Everleap staff

It depends on the registrar on how long does it take for the domain to become available again. It usually take about 60 to 70 days.

Note that there are many domain registrar will try to pre-sell your domain for an additional fee. I wouldn't recommend you let it expire (you may not be able to get it back).

I recommend you contact your ISP's registrar, http://srsplus.com, to see if they can release the domain name for you.

Also see http://smallbusiness.chron.com/recover-hijacked-domain-60903.html for some general guideline

3. mjp

mjp

Totally agree with this.

Though you will likely have to renew it with the old registrar since it already expired (they can't transfer a domain that is expired), but once you do that, transfer it away from them. You won't lose that renewal fee, the new registrar will add that time to your new registration.

4. Thanks Guys

I think I will let the domain go and start again. It's a shame cause all my software is developed under the name 'formeware' , but this local re seller just can't be trusted. I think he will insist I pay for another complete year of hosting to just re register the domain.
    I have lost all access to the user control panel for over a year now ( actually he just shut down the old control panel and has never given me the logon details to his the new one even though I email asking for it , he just replies offering to do what I want himself, or just asks why I want access)

I think I will just write this off as a lesson in not taking peoples recommendations without looking into the company first.

Cheers

Rob

5. Frankc

Frankc Everleap staff

Rob.. sorry to hear that.

You've made the right choice hosting with us though :););)

6. So far so good Frank! :D:):p:cool:

(formeware.net , now registered via everleap :))

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  7. Wow, your guys control panel and systems are like some form of black magic.:eek:

Register new domain, update the Site name to the new domain and everything working within 5 minutes..

Even the email changed over within 5 minutes with new email addresses.

Exceeded this guys expectations.. thanks!

Rob

Martin Ortega and Ray Huang like this.
  8. mjp

mjp

Glad it's working out for you, Rob.

9. That would depend on whether you are talking about transfer of the physical files form one host to another host. Or, if you are talking about transferring your domain from one registrar to another.

This are very different things that are done in different ways. So, which one are you trying to accomplish?

Once that is known, then I can provide instruction for either.