ASP.NET Core

Discussion in 'Questions about Everleap' started by JTNichols, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Hello,
    ASP.NET Core 1.0.0 is set for release on 27JUN, any timeline or schedule to allow for hosting it on Everleap?

Regards,
    Jason

2. mjp

mjp

Jason, we've been testing it for a couple of months now, and we hope to roll it out shortly after the official release. No firm timetable yet. We're waiting to see if they stick to that release date.

3. Sounds good, thank you.
    Some caution is probably reasonable, the page states they released RC2 on 16May. Must have been a git fork or something because I was watching and didn't see it until 26May.

4. mjp

mjp

5. Any planned update now that it's been out?
    Read the article, so certainly understand the technical challenges of supporting a major change to the .net framework while still supporting existing code.

6. Takeshi

Takeshi Everleap staff

We just announced ASP.NET Core 1.0 hosting support at our sister shared hosting company, DiscountASP.NET. On Everleap, we are working with Microsoft and there is no firm timeframe.

mjp likes this.
  7. Thanks for the update, appreciate it!
    Jason

8. Couple months later, any update?

9. mjp

mjp

We're testing the latest update to Windows Azure Pack right now, however, .NET Core is not part of the update.

A few weeks ago we attempted to add .NET Core support outside of the WAP update and it failed.

So where we stand right now is we're unable to provide support for Core until Microsoft integrates it into their WAP updates. I can't tell you when that might be (or why they are waiting to do it).

Sorry.

10. No worries, appreciate the info on it.

11. Few months later after a couple months later. Any changes?

12. I'd also like to know when you will support this. I bought an Everleap subscription specifically because I thought you'd support ASP.NET Core, I'd hate to have to cancel it.

13. Takeshi

Takeshi Everleap staff

Unfortunately, we are waiting on Microsoft to update WAP with .NET Core. We did launch .NET Core at our sister company, DiscountASP.NET. You can get your .NET Core site set up over there and then when we have it on Everleap, we can move your site over for you.

14. Thanks for the update, hopefully something will develop soon. Don't really feel like setting up elsewhere and then moving.

15. Actually, why move? What would be the advantage of everleap over discountasp.net, once everleap has Core hosting?

16. mjp

mjp

Depends on what your needs are. Generally speaking there are many advantages at Everleap, not the least of which is it's a modern platform, so you have a lot more flexibility and room to grow.

DiscountASP.NET is great for what it is, and it's a perfect platform for most sites. There are just some people who need more, and Everleap provides that.

17. Eaton

Eaton Guest

Perhaps this month will be when it becomes available.

Source

See "Windows Azure Pack Websites" at the bottom.

18. Eaton

Eaton Guest

19. Eaton

Eaton Guest

20. Is ASP.NET Core supported yet?

21. Takeshi

Takeshi Everleap staff

With the latest WAP update that just did, .NET Core support was added. We are still testing a few things and new KB articles will be published soon.

22. Great. I want to create a new "site" to host the API for Desert Code Camp. Do you know how long?

23. mjp

mjp

We just published these Knowledge Base articles:
    Changing a .NET Core Application from Framework-Dependent to Self-Contained with Visual Studio 2015
    Changing a .NET Core Application from Framework-Dependent to Self-Contained with Visual Studio 2017

As you can see, we're moving away from "framework dependent" implementation to "self contained," meaning none of the Core framework would be on the server, it would all be uploaded by you and live and run in your space on the server.

There are a couple of advantages to doing it that way, first, you would only upload the components that your application requires, which means lower overhead. Second, and most importantly, the development cadence for .NET Core is too rapid for a commercial host like us to reasonably keep up with.

.NET Core updates are not included in the monthly Windows Server Updates (which are automated), and they seem to be taking the "modern" approach of: release-quickly-and-often-and-let-the-users-find-the-bugs. Which means more updates more frequently, and that isn't workable when you have dozens (or hundreds) of servers to update manually every time they decide to push a release. So self-contained is really the only implementation that makes sense.

The downside of self-contained implementation is many of the resources used by .NET Core move from the server to the user, so memory use and storage space for individual user accounts are affected. We can't say how much they'll be affected, because every implementation will be different, depending on which elements of Core are used.

24. Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    JTNichols and mjp like this.
  25. Ray Huang

Ray Huang Everleap staff

Thank you, Joseph. I have corrected that.

mjp likes this.