FTP hangs hard in Visual Studio

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by JimH, Jul 27, 2015.

1. I'm having this problem on 3 different machines now -- on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, on VS 2012 and VS 2015. I have a large website that I've been successfully using FTP to transfer files for a year now. All of a sudden in Visual Studio as soon as I select Website / Copy Web Site, it brings up the FTP Log On dialog as usual ready for me to enter my password. Only now, Visual Studio is hung. The dialog accepts no input and can't be canceled. The only way out is to use Task Manager to kill the Visual Studio task. My desktop still works but I've tried this on a Surface Pro 3, a Samsung laptop, and a Dell i7 laptop and the portable devices all hang 100% of the time. Any ideas? I can use an external FTP program but the lack of Visual Studio integration is killing me. Has my site got too big? (It's about 20,000 files.) Any ideas I can try? Thanks.

2. Frankc

Frankc Everleap staff

i think it might be better if you open a support ticket. We'll need to check the FTP log and see if it is uploading.

3. I opened ticket 10E-1D41A98E-0202 but was told it must be a Visual Studio bug (although it only seems to affect Everleap) so I thought I'd try here to see if someone else might have hit the same issue and had ideas.

4. Frankc

Frankc Everleap staff

I looked at the ticket and you mentioned that it works on your desktop but not your laptop. That is really weird.. are you on the same network connection?

5. It fails on all my laptops -- a Dell XP13, a Samsung Book 9, and a Surface Pro 3. You're right, it's very weird, and very frustrating.

6. Oh, and yes, all on the same network.

7. Frankc

Frankc Everleap staff

i reopened the ticket for you.

8. I am having the very same problem though don't use Everleap. However, I am a client of DiscountASP. Has anyone ever found a solution to this problem? It's the first I've found my exact problem.

9. mjp

mjp

10. Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it's a DiscountASP.NET issue. I believe it's a Visual Studio and Windows 10 issue. So I'm not sure why it would belong on your site though if you think it could be helpful I'm game.