Testing DNN on dev servers

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by PeterNolan, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Wow...first post in this forum.

I have three DNN sites on Everleap now. One of them is having trouble with the forums. So I have upgraded my personal development/prod machines to server 2012 plus sql server 2012 to be in line with EL software. I am trying to get my three sites running on my dev server.

They are www.crimesagainstfathers.com, www.instantbi.com and www.instantbi-webhosting.com. As I said...they all work bar the instantbi forums on EL after the DASP migration.

My problem is that when I try and run the exact same web sites on my dev server running IIS 8 I get the message below. I was thinking that support here must have seen this message before. If you have and have an idea how to fix this? I would much appreciate it. I get the same message on all three sites so it is at least consistent.

Thanks in advance. I will keep searching to see if I can find out what is going wrong.

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.
    Detailed Error Information:

Module IIS Web Core
    Notification BeginRequest
    Handler Not yet determined
    Error Code 0x80070021
    Config Error This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".
    Config File \\?\C:\websites\CAFProd\site\wwwroot\web.config
    Requested URL http://crimesagainstfathers7x.com:80/
    Physical Path C:\websites\CAFProd\site\wwwroot
    Logon Method Not yet determined
    Logon User Not yet determined

Config Source:
    81: </modules>
    82: <handlers>
    83: <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />

More Information:
    This error occurs when there is a problem reading the configuration file for the Web server or Web application. In some cases, the event logs may contain more information about what caused this error.
    View more information ยป

2. Ray Huang

Ray Huang Everleap staff

3. Hi Ray,
    Thanks....I also found that I needed to run this command. IIS dot net is, for some reason, not enabled.

dism /NoRestart /Online /Enable-Feature /all /FeatureName:IIS-ASPNET

So I will run this on both machines. It gets me one step closer. I will go over the links you sent me too.

I found this. http://forums.iis.net/t/1169633.aspx?IIS+7+5+IUSR+IIS_IUSRS

The IUSR is a legacy account for anonymous access. Personally, I would change the user account in the anonymous authentication module to inherit from the application pool, then you are administering one account. Right click on anonymous authentication module in IIS Manager, click edit and you'll see the setting.

I changed it but it didn't help.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. Ok Ray and anyone else who comes along. It was an install config problem for IIS.

I went in to server manager - > IIS -> Add roles and features.

I thought I had everything I needed but I went back to IIS and I added everything under IIS. This seemed to generate an update where it installed dot net 4.5 and 3.5 and development tools under the IIS service. I really do not know why it did this but I guess because I asked for every feature to be installed under IIS that it figured it had to do all that.

I also found this link. http://i2.iis.net/media/7186820/iis...et-45-1097-image009.png?cdn_id=2012-08-15-001

But the application development roles did not come up under my server manager on server 2012. I do not know why.

So it seems that errors like this one indicate that the sufficient options/features have not been installed.

HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found
    The requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler.

5. Just a heads up for anyone else upgrading DNN from 6.x to 7.x. Turn off report services. For some reason the install and RS interfere with each other and cause long run times.