Scripted SQL Server database backups

Discussion in 'Databases' started by ewbi, Feb 6, 2015.

1. I wrote Everleap support back in August 2014 asking when scripted SQL Server database backups and recovery mode changes would be available. Their response was:

"At this time we don't have a API service but we're working on one so you will be able to create a program to automatically backup your SQL database."

In addition, you all responded to a similar question about this here on the forums back in September 2014, saying:

"We're investigating some third party off-site backup options that may be made available. ... We make backups ourselves for disaster recovery, and if you're ever in a pinch, we can often pull one of those for you. I understand that's not the same thing, but the data is all being backed up."

This is becoming rather important for us, and I assume for Everleap, too, as it's hard to be considered a serious cloud service provider without offering this simple but very important feature.

So what's the word? When will we have control over the backup of our mission-critical SQL Server databases hosted on Everleap?

2. mjp

mjp

We don't have a concrete date we can give you. We'll revisit this subject in our meeting next week and let you know what's happening.

3. Frankc

Frankc Everleap staff

Try this one out for now.

http://sqlbackupandftp.com/

It scripts your database and store the script on your local computer.

Also note that we have your database backed up on a daily basis.

mjp likes this.
  4. Thanks. Unfortunately, the script-based remote database backup support in SQLBackupAndFTP says it's just a "beta" feature and
    • they don't provide support for remote restoration using the resulting SQL DDL/DML scripts;
    • the SQL scripts assume they're targeting an empty database;
    • the SQL scripts don't treat text in sql_variant fields as nvarchars;
    • we've got hundreds of MBs of data in millions of rows to insert and index, which will take forever;
    • and this is made worse by their not adding NO CHECK to the CONSTRAINT additions, even though the data presumably came out of a constraint-checked db in the first place.
    I appreciate you mentioning that Everleap backs up our databases every day, but I don't think that's part of our SLA (or is it?) and management insists we account for our own backups.

For now we'll probably stick with our homegrown solution, which scripts a browser on the Everleap admin site to force a backup and then FTPs the resulting file back to a local server. Hopefully you guys will have a more robust native option available soon.