Trying to create an indentiy column in MSSQL

Discussion in 'Databases' started by eutychus, Oct 23, 2017.

1. I'm trying to either create a new table or alter an exiting one using Visual Studio 2017. I can connect to the database okay and create a table, but it won't let me set the primary key column as an identity column. The error I keep getting is "The reverse engineering operation cannot continue because you do not have View Any Definition permission on the server." How can I get around this?

2. Martin Ortega

Martin Ortega Everleap staff

Sounds like you need to update your SQL Database version locally on your computer to the latest version. What's the current version you're using for your SQL Server Management Studio?

Ray Huang and mjp like this.
  3. Eaton

Eaton Guest

I've had this same issue for years. Restarting Visual Studio usually fixes it.

Ray Huang likes this.
  4. Ray Huang

Ray Huang Everleap staff

It's been so long since I've done database development in Visual Studio that I don't remember what I did to fix this. But searching around the Internet, most posts seem to indicate it's a problem with the user not having db_owner permissions. Is this a secondary SQL user you created to log into the database? Because your primary user should already have db_owner rights. And Martin might be correct, it might be caused by a database version mismatch.

mjp likes this.